Advocacy for Science and Research
As part of CSMLS objectives to promote medical laboratory science, CSMLS is involved in a number of advocacy activities, which include research and science promotion, on behalf of its members.
Some of the CSMLS profession-related advocacy activities include:
- Meetings with various Members of Parliament with an interest in research as well as the federal Minister of Finance, set up by Public Affairs and Communications representatives.
- Submissions to the House of Commons Finance Committee that include support for research-related activities for the medical laboratory profession.
- Liaisons with representatives from Canada's research organizations and stakeholders in the form of email correspondence, in-person meetings, sittings on advisory panels, responding to funding issues and arranging funding-related presentations at LABCON and other research-specific CSMLS events.
- Partnerships and collaborations in research with stakeholders such as Research Canada, Organizations for Health Action, Colleges and Institutes Canada, Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists and Sonography Canada.
- Compiles resources of interest and regularly attends various research-focused conferences and events, where we advocate for the inclusion of medical laboratory professionals in conference programs and/or bring forth the perspective of medical laboratory science.