Pre-Assessment and Fees
Pre‐Assessment has three parts:
- PLA Application and Fee
- Supporting Documents
1. PLA APPLICATION AND FEE(S)
Your Prior Learning Assessment begins by reading the Handbook.
There is an application at the back of the handbook that must be completed. Your completed application, along with the required fee is sent to CSMLS where we will then open your file and create a CSMLS ID number.
FEES FOR MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY
- The PLA fee is $1540 for members and $1850 for non-members (non-refundable).
- You can pay the PLA Fee in full at the time of application, or in two parts as follows:
|PLA Fee Schedule
|The PLA Application Fee must be paid at the time of application
|The PLA Technical Report Fee must be received before we assess your file. We will contact you when this payment is due.
FEES FOR MEDICAL LABORATORY ASSISTANT
- The PLA fee is $160 for members and $215 for non-members (non-refundable)
Payments must be in Canadian funds. Acceptable forms of payment are Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Canadian cheque or Canadian money order. Make your cheque or money order payable to the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science, or CSMLS.
If your payment is returned to us for insufficient funds, you will be charged a $25.00 NSF fee.
- PLA fees are non-refundable and non-transferable
- You have twelve (12) months to ensure required documents are received by the CSMLS office
- You will need to reapply if documents are not received within that time
- Extensions can be requested if your application has not been expired for more than twelve (12) months
MLT candidates can become CSMLS members and save on fees. Learn More.
2. SUPPORTING (OFFICIAL) DOCUMENTS
With your file started, you will receive notification from CSMLS regarding required documents. You must contact your educational institutions and employers to ask that they send the required official documents directly to us. Documents sent become property of the CSMLS and will not be sent to you.
Be sure your name and CSMLS ID number are included with the documents sent on your behalf, or they will be discarded. A Required Documentation Checklist can be found in the Prior Learning Assessment Handbook to assist you. You are responsible for all costs associated with supporting documentation.
When the CSMLS has received all of your required documentation, your PLA file will be forwarded to the assessment team for review. The assessment team will review your documentation to compare your experience and education with the competency profile. It may take the assessment team up to 4 to 6 weeks to complete your assessment.
Next Step: Post-Assessment