The PLA Technical Report Fee must be paid before we assess your file (applicable to MLT assessments only).
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Your technical report will list the experience we find through your documentation and will include one of three outcomes:
- You are equivalent to the Competency Profile and eligible to write both the MLT and MLA exams.
- You are not equivalent to the MLT Competency Profile and you must complete a PLA Learning Plan to be eligible to write the MLT exam. Eligibility to the MLA exam will not be granted to individuals who need to meet comprehensive course requirements.
- You are not equivalent and you must complete a full‐time accredited MLT training program to be eligible to write the exam or consider other professional options.
Medical Laboratory Assistant
Once your prior learning assessment (PLA) is complete, we will mail your technical report to you.
Your technical report will show one of two results:
- You are equivalent to the Competency Profile and eligible to write the MLA exam.
- You are not equivalent and you must complete a full-time accredited MLA training program to be eligible to write the exam.
Technical reports requiring a PLA Learning Plan, are valid for 2 years (MLT ONLY).
If you received a "Not Equivalent" technical report but you do not agree with the assessment or think that additional documents from your employer or academic insitutions will change your PLA result, you can challenge your result by applying for an Appeal or Supplemental Documentation.
Applications must be received within strict timeframes. See the PLA Handbook or the forms below for restrictions. Please note, the application must be sent with the appropriate non-refundable fee.