All CSMLS certification exam questions are referenced to a competency within the associated Competency Profile. All CSMLS certification exam answers are referenced to one or more textbook(s) from the reference textbook list. You are not expected to purchase or review all textbooks on the reference textbook list. These textbooks may be used as references when preparing for a CSMLS certification examination.
Reference Textbook Loan Libraries
The costs associated with professional certification can constitute a hardship for, and may function as a barrier to, successful preparation for the certification processes. These specialty books are not available through public libraries and are extremely costly to purchase.
In 2010, CSMLS established loan libraries at nine accessible sites across Canada with funding from the Government of Canada’s Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) program.
The following sites, which include settlement agencies and public libraries, have been provided, by the CSMLS, a copy of the General Laboratory Science recommended textbooks, which are updated approximately every three years:
- Toronto Public Library in the reference text book section
- HealthForceOntario (HFO) Toronto office for HFO client use
- Mohawk-McMaster Institute of Allied Health Sciences library
- Hamilton Public Library in the general collection
- Vancouver Public Library in general circulation
- Calgary Public Library in the circulating collection
- Winnipeg Public Library in the general collection
- Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) in Halifax for ISANS clients only
- Halifax Public Library in the general circulation